Few things beat a crisp green juice for kick-starting your metabolism, strengthening your immune system, detoxifying and getting a general wellness boost. My recipe is a pure vegetable green juice that does not incorporate a lot of fruit (like most other green juice recipes you’ll find out there). The result is that it will not result in a blood sugar spike, will not raise your insulin and will keep you in a state of ketosis, while still yielding the phenomenal benefits you get from juicing your greens.
- 3 Large Celery sticks, with the leaves
- 1 small to medium sized Fennel bulb (or half large one)
- ½ cucumber
- 2 packed cups Spinach or Chard
- 4 sprigs Italian parsley
- Ginger (about the length from the knuckle of your thumb to the tip)
- Tumeric (same size as the ginger or about 1 teaspoon if powdered)
- 1 clove Garlic, peel removed
- 1 Lemon, yellow skin removed leaving as much of the white underskin as possible
All ingredients should be washed and cut in preparation for juicing.
Additional ingredients for smoothie:
- 165ml coconut milk
- 1 small avocado or ½ large one
- 1 Tbsp. MCT oil
- Stevia drops to taste (about 2 or 3 drops)
- Juice all of the ingredients in a slow masticating juicer.
- Run the juice through a strainer to clarify it and remove residual pulp
You can stop right here for the juice and drink as is or you can continue on to make a smoothie:
- Pour the strained juice into a blender, preferably a high speed one
- Add all the additional smoothie ingredients into the blender as well
- Run the blender on pulse or high, to get a smooth texture
- Pour into a mason jar and enjoy
The juice is quite strong, crisp and refreshing, and might take a bit of getting use to if you are not familiar with strong green juices. You can store it in an airtight container and consume within 24 hours
With the addition of coconut milk and some stevia, the smoothie is a little bit sweeter and could be considered more palatable for green smoothie novices. You’ll get about a litre out (about 32 ounces) for the smoothie, which is enough for 2 or 3 people. The smoothie does not store well because the avocado oxidises, thus it is recommended you consume within 3 hours of making.
Get my free eBook!
Get a free copy of my Banting Basics eBook and join our community.